Friday, July 25, 2008

Two Hawai'i-Related Blogs listed as "Blogs of Note" on blogspot

I ain't sure how often this happens, but two Hawai'i-related blogs are listed as "Blogs of Note" by blogspot.com right now. If you don't blog here, that might not sound familiar but it's cute (and ensures traffic). Just a short list of links on our homepages to cool places like Rubbah Slippahs in Italy.blogspot.com spells her name in haole on her page, but you can still hear the island girl tones and tunes in her writing. Everything from food to flowers, friends having fun. Plus she appreciates and has adapted to a broader culture not only in Italy but all over.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


junkraft.blogspot.com looks dangerous and wild. Here's what their subheading is:
"Sailing to Hawaii on 15,000 plastic bottles and a Cessna 310, to raise awareness about plastic fouling our oceans."




They left Long Beach Aquarium at 2pm on June 1, I believe, and wanted to make the trip here in 6-7 weeks. The latest entry as of this writing is July 23, and they're roaring "towards the half way mark". A little off-schedule, but definitely off-point.
This is pretty heavy stuff, which probbly implies a lifestyle change. Do I wanna read about that? Is there anything I can do to help? Is it gonna make me more paranoid about the state of the world...and the state of Hawaii? Probbly yes to all.

(5 minutes later)
So I read their blog and explored the topic and came upon a couple of cool quotes:

1) "They dreamed of doing something, and they did it."
I wish my other half would gnag me to chase my dreams, instead of trying to get me to wake upp. I'm so tired of hearing "No can."

2) "The age of single-use disposable plastics is over."
That scares me 'cause I'm always trippin' on how much trash I my self make by eating take-out three meals a day. Just one large soda could be 3 pieces of "single-use disposable plastic" (cup, straw & lid) right there. Not to mention the styrofoam tray, handful of napkins new and unused, the paper that was around the straw, and the plastic bag to carry it all in! And that's just if I'm eating alone. See, I knew I wouldn't "enjoy" reading it. But I'm better for it. YAY! (even more great news at Algalita.org)

**Uppdate: The Junk Raft landed in Honolulu on Wednesday August 27 to cheering crowds.

No comments: